Skip to main content

Council Tax Energy Rebate FAQs

Our Customer Contact team is currently receiving very high levels of calls regarding the the £150 Council Tax Rebate. We have therefore created a list of some of most frequently asked questions to help residents more efficiently and effectively.

General section/eligibility 

How can I find out what band my property is in?

This is shown on your council tax bill, or you can find this online .

My property is newly built and doesn’t have a band yet, will I get £150?

If you occupied the property on or before 1 April 2022 and meet the other eligibly criteria, then yes. When the property is banded by the Valuation Office, we will be able to make a payment if all the eligibility criteria are met.

I’m awaiting the results of a re-banding – what do I do? If I’m re-banded in A-D, will I qualify? 

If your appeal is concluded after 1 April 2022, councils are not required to make a payment to you under the rules.

I live in armed forces accommodation will I get a payment?

No, properties owned by the Ministry of Defence are not included in this scheme. 

What happens if I move out of the area later in the year, do I need to pay the rebate back?

No, the payment does not need to be paid back. The effective date for qualifying for the rebate is 1 April 2022.

I moved into my property on 2 April 2022 what am I entitled to?

You are not entitled to a council tax energy rebate. In order to be eligible, you need to be the liable council taxpayer on 1 April 2022. You may be entitled to claim the rebate at the property you lived in on 1 April 2022.
If your previous property was outside our area you would need to contact the council where you used to live. 

I’m a landlord who is liable for several properties – is this payment one per property or once per person?

The payment will be made to the person who is liable to pay council tax at each property. This should be the person/s who live in the property that is, the tenant, not the landlord, if they pay council tax.

I pay rent and my landlord asks me to contribute to energy costs, but he is the bill payer, what happens?

If you are liable to pay council tax on 1 April 2022, you will receive the payment. This means that in most cases we will pay the tenant as they are liable to pay council tax.

I am a lodger will I get a payment?     

No, the payment is per household and will be paid to the liable council tax person.

My home is a second home, can I apply?

No, second homes are not eligible.

I own an empty home. Will I get it?

No, empty homes are not eligible. 

When does £150 energy rebate scheme close?  

This scheme will close on Friday 30 September 2022.

The discretionary scheme ends on 30 November 2022.

Making payments

Why can you not simply take it off my council tax bill? 

The government has asked us make direct payments to households. If you pay by direct debit, we will make the payment directly to the bank account used to collect the direct debit shortly after the first direct debit for the April instalment has been paid. 

If you don’t pay by direct debit, you will receive a letter that will enable you to claim the rebate at any Post Office. You will need to take the letter and identification in order to claim the payment.

I do not have anything to pay against my bill because I receive 100% local council tax support, so do I still get the rebate? 

Yes, if you meet all of the other eligibly criteria. 

I don’t want the money, there must be more worse off people then me, what can I do?

The government has determined who is eligible to receive the payment. We have to distribute the money according to the rules.

Do I need to pay this back?

No, the £150 is a non-repayable rebate, unless in due course, it is found to have been paid incorrectly. 

What can I spend it on?

The payment is being given to help with energy costs for example towards your gas and electricity bills 

Will this be an annual rebate?

No this is a one-off payment. 

Is this payment taxable? 

No, it isn’t.

This isn’t enough money; I need more help?    

Please contact us to discuss how we can help you with your Council Tax bill on our website.

Your energy provider may also be able to offer advice on how you can reduce your energy bills or offer you a better tariff. 

Specific to direct debit payers

I pay my council tax by direct debit, when will I receive this?

If you pay by direct debit, we will make the payment directly to the bank account used to collect the direct debit shortly after the first direct debit instalment has been paid. 

We will check our records to make sure that we don’t make a direct payment where the name on the bank details does not match the liable party. 

In these cases, the liable person will receive a letter that will enable you to claim the rebate at any Post Office. You will need to take the letter and identification in order to claim the payment.

My council tax bill is paid by direct debit by my parents/employer and not me, how will I get the money?    

In these cases, you will receive a letter that will enable you to claim the rebate at any Post Office. You will need to take the letter and identification in order to claim the payment.

Specific to non-direct debit payers

When can I expect to receive my payment?

You should receive a barcoded letter from the Post Office. We encourage you to claim the payment as soon as you can.

We have started writing to tax payers who do not pay for their Council Tax via direct debit. Letters will be reaching them throughout the month of June. 

How do I collect the payment?     

In order to claim the £150 rebate, residents are being advised to take their letter and a form of photo ID to their local Post Office within 3 months of receiving the letter. All accepted forms of photo ID are listed within the letter and below:

  • National Identity Card (photo)
  • Photo Driving Licence
  • Valid Passport
  • Armed Forces ID Card
  • UK Biometric Residency Permit
  • Police Warrant Card
  • Valid Blue Badge with photo
  • Asylum ID Card
  • Other Photo ID (e.g. bus pass)

I am not liable to pay council tax, will I get it?     

No, if you are not liable to pay council tax, you will not receive a payment.

How do I know this isn’t a scam to get my bank details?     

We have had reports of scam callers saying they are from the council asking for bank details to pay the rebate into. This is not a call from us. We will never contact you by telephone to ask you for your bank details

I’m moving out soon. Can I still claim it?

It depends when you are moving out. You need to be in occupation for the whole of the day on 1 April 2022 in order to be eligible for payment.

Our council tax account is in a joint name. Who can go to the Post Office to collect the payment? 

We can’t split the payment in half, so the primary named liable person will need to collect the payment by going to the Post Office. The person will need to take the letter and the required identification with them. 

What happens if I do not collect my payment?    

The Post Office barcoded letter will expire three months after the date it is issued. If you do not collect the payment, we may credit the amount onto your council tax account. 

I have lost my letter, what can I do?     

Please contact us; we may be able to cancel the original letter and issue you with a new one. If later on you find the original letter, please destroy it as you will not be able to use it.

My name/address has changed so it’s different to that shown on the letter, can I still collect the payment?  

You will need to notify us of the change. We will cancel the letter and issue you with a new one. We will also update your council tax account, so this is correct as well. Please tell us about the change.

Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria changed, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

Don't worry though, your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Find out more about the changes.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 

Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options