Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)
An updated version of the Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) was adopted by the Council on 23rd February 2022.
The adopted SCI sets out the Council’s policy for engaging the community and stakeholders in the planning process. Creating and publishing an SCI is a legal requirement for all planning authorities, and the regulations also require that it is reviewed and updated.
It sets out when, how, and for what reasons you can participate in planning processes or issues, including
- Planning policy and the local plan
- Neighbourhood planning
- Planning applications
- Dealing with unauthorised development
The SCI 2022 replaces the previous SCI that had been adopted in 2010
A public consultation on a draft version of the SPD took place between 25th November 2021 and 23rd December 2021, and amendments were made in response to representations received. The consultation statement below includes a summary of the comments received and the Council's response to them. An Equality Impact Assessment is also available.
Copies of the adopted SCI are available for inspection at the following venues during their current opening hours:
- Aspatria Library: Local Link, The Brandraw, Aspatria, CA7 3EZ (016973 20515)
- Cockermouth Library: Main Street, Cockermouth, CA13 9LU (01900 822634)
- Maryport Library: Lawson Street, Maryport CA15 6ND (01900 812384)
- Silloth Library: The Discovery Centre, Liddell Street, Silloth CA7 4DD (016973 32195)
- Wigton Library: High Street, Wigton (016973 66150)
- Workington Library: Vulcans Lane, Workington, CA14 2ND (01900 706170)
By appointment only the adopted SCI is also available to view at the following Council Offices:
- Workington Customer Service Centre, Allerdale House, Workington CA14 3YJ (0303 123 1702)
- Wigton Local Link: Community Office, Market Hall, Wigton CA7 9AA (0303 123 1702)
Any person with sufficient interest in the decision to adopt the SCI may apply to the High Court for permission to apply for judicial review of that decision. Any such application must be made promptly and in any event not later than 6 weeks after the date on which the SPD was adopted.
If you having difficulty in accessing the SCI document online or have any queries, please phone us on 01900 702790 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning Policy Consultation Database
The planning policy team have a planning policy consultation database which we use to notify organisations and individuals who have expressed an interest in being kept informed in the production and amendment of planning policy documents. If you wish your details to be added to the Planning Policy Consultation Database, please let us know by emailing email@example.com
You can opt to have your details removed from the database at any point in time. If you wish to be removed from the database so that you do not receive further communications about planning policy matters, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Statement of Community Involvement 2010
The superced version of the Statement of Community Involvement 2010 is available to view here: