Skip to main content

Cumbria and the rest of England has been placed in national lockdown (stay at home). 

See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities including the support grants. There is also advice for individuals including the Test and Trace Support payment. Our customer contact centres are not open to the public at the moment due to the restrictions. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us

Community help and volunteering

Latest advice for those shielding

With the rise in cases, and the new national restrictions, the Government is issuing new guidance to clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) people. Whilst it is not a return to the very restrictive shielding advice from the previous lockdown, people on the shielding list are strongly advised to follow extra precautionary shielding measures to help keep themselves safe. The guidance remains advice, not the law.

Find out more about the latest shielding advice from the government .

How to get help and support

People who are struggling should go to Cumbria County Council's website to find help quickly. Organisations from across the county have contributed to the online information, which includes a new search tool, and support for people struggling to feed themselves or their families, debt and housing advice, benefits and financial grants, mental wellbeing and more. 

For residents who need urgent help finding food and essential items, or if they are struggling to cope with their current situation for whatever reason, they are advised to call the county council’s Support Helpline on 0800 783 1966 (Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 4.30pm).

Safeguarding children

People can report concerns about children in the following ways:

Protecting against domestic violence

If you are suffering from domestic violence you do not have to suffer in silence. 

If you need to leave your home contact our homelessness team on 0303 123 1702. You can also call the police on 101 or in an emergency 999.

There is more information in our news release on domestic violence.

Being neighbourly

With more people at home, there is the chance that people may see and hear their neighbours more. Please respect each other. 

There are some simple things you can do to be a better neighbour, such as discussing with them (from more than 2m apart of course) your requirements if you need some quiet time for work. Loud music late at night is also likely to cause trouble.

And if you can't resolve the issue, then give us a call on 0303 123 1702.

Volunteering in your community 

Vulnerable people and elderly people in your community who are staying at home, self-isolating or shielding may need the support of volunteers - could you help?

If you want to help and volunteer your services, register with the GoodSam app online .

Food Bank support

If  you can't make it to any of the Food Bank drop-off points, you can donate money direct to them via their web page .

Advice for volunteer groups

The latest government guidance for staying at home and away from others says people may leave home 'to provide care or to help a vulnerable person' - we hope this will reassure people that it is still OK to shop for neighbours, friends or family members. We would advise volunteers to make themselves familiar with the guidance below and the latest guidance on

More advice is available via these websites:

Other groups that offer help and assistance

Cumbria County County is coordinating efforts to help communities. There website has a wealth of information for residents.

Go to the Cumbria County Council website

The are many established community and volunteer groups such as Cumbria CVS, as well as Cumbria Community Foundation (CCF) who may be able to provide financial help.

Go to the Cumbria CVS website

Go to the CCF website

People First, in conjunction with other agencies, has put in place a Covid-19 support service for people with learning disabilities or autism. Called Keeping People Connected, it includes check and chat calls to understand and assess their current situation, including issues such as health and well-being and food supplies. The contact is Chris Tolley by email

Keswick Lions and Rotary has a fund to help local people facing financial difficulty.

Beware of fake Covid marshals and medical professionals

The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) has received reports of incidences involving people pretending to be COVID marshals and medical professionals to gain access to people's homes.

This particular version of the scam is an updated form of one witnessed during the pandemic in the summer involving fake healthcare professionals offering bogus COVID-19 tests to gain access to homes.

The marshals, officially called COVID-19 secure marshals, do not have the power to enforce social distancing, issue fines, or the right to enter homes.