Skip to main content

Council Tax, benefits and financial support

There are a number of packages providing support for individuals facing hardship due to the pandemic.

The government website has more information on the rules for self-isolation.

Test and Trace Support payment

The Test and Trace Support Payment ended on 24 February 2022 with the last day for any claims being 6 April 2022. 

Find out more about the payment on the Government website.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction

If you find yourself in financial difficulties due to the coronavirus outbreak, we may be able to help. 

The government has produced this benefits checker to see all the types of help that is available to people

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit.

Find out more about applying for Housing Benefit

And you may be able to reduce the amount you pay on your council tax.

Find out more about applying for Council Tax Reduction .

You may be entitled to Universal Credit. However, we do not administer this benefit. It is done online and through the JobCentre Plus.

Find out more about Universal Credit .

You can also give our customer service team a call on 0300 373 3730 if you need any further advice.

Help for those facing being made homeless

People who are homeless – or are at risk of becoming homeless – are being reassured that the council's housing options team is continuing to do everything it can to offer support to those who need it during the coronavirus situation.

The team is working hard to continue to find suitable housing options for those who are homeless, while trying to identify people who are sleeping rough on the streets of Allerdale.  

Those who require support are asked to call the housing options’ phone number 01900 702660 (or 0300 373 3730 out of hours) if possible.

Information is also available on our homelessness webpage . You can also email the team

You can find more information on the help we offer

Other support and advice for individuals

The government has announced a range of support packages for individuals. This includes:

Ability to claim pension credit online

A skills toolkit to help people with their literacy and numeracy skills

Increase in the Working Tax Credits.

Advice on statutory sick pay

Advice on Employment and Support Allowance

Advice if you are facing being laid off or short-time working

Advice if you are struggling to pay your tax bill on time

Advice on mortgage payment holidays from the Financial Conduct Authority

Guidance on insurance issues from the Association of British Insurers

Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria changed, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

Don't worry though, your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Find out more about the changes.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 

Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options